Sunday, June 18, 2006

There are Worse Things Than Being Part of the Broken Road

"One day my broken road will reach its end, and I can't wait for that day. Until then, I look back on us then and smile, and look at us now as friends and smile even bigger."

This is a quote from an e-mail I sent an old college friend of mine after a conversation about times past. We dated for a while in college, and then our lives inevitably went different directions. Immediately after departing from me, she met the love of her life and has since married him. That makes three instances of that phenomenon in my life, with two women already married and another engaged to be married.

About half of all love songs are written in celebration of love, and the other half are written of the heartbreak inherent in its failing, even if tempered with optimism for the future. Such is the case with Rascal Flatts' "Bless the Broken Road", and it actually gave me a new perspective about these situations from my life.

Life, after all, truly is about perspective, and I have said so many times. I am sure I could sit around and lament the loss, the good times that were once but which will never be again, and the future good times I hoped for but which will never come to pass. I could also beat myself up mercilessly inside, wondering just why it is that women I love seem to always manage to find their true love and happiness, just not with me. I will admit to having done that on occasion, only to find that it did not the slightest bit of good.

Then I come across the words to this song, and it all makes sense to me now. Even though it isn't me with whom their happiness was to be found, people come into your life for a reason and a season, and most of them leave sooner or later because that's just the way life is. I won't lie and say that I would prefer being a part of their broken road, because truth be told, anyone who is honest would, more than anything, have rather things worked out with the person they loved. Short of that, however, I believe there are worse things than being a part of someone's broken road and they yours.

Taking the next logical step, I asked myself what is it that I wanted most at my core for these women I once loved, and I answered...their happiness above all. So that fulfillment isn't to be found with me...so what?! Though it's certainly of little comfort while healing after a failed relationship, it is of some consolation that, without me, but for my time with and impact on that person's life, they might never have found their soulmate. After all, although it didn't turn out that I was to be the leading man for these women, I like to think of myself as a quality supporting actor who helped them along the way to be the best and happiest person they possibly could be, and vice versa.

I am man enough and grown-up enough to say good for these wonderful ladies that they found the love of their respective lives and actually mean it...which leads me back to my quote and the song lyrics below. I know very well that one day my broken road will reach its end...it'll be an amazing time and I can't wait for it to get here. Until then, my dear friends, with whom I shared my life for a reason and a season, have found their heart's desire, and that, I say, is cause for celebration indeed.

Artist: Rascal Flatts
Album: Feels Like Today
Title: Bless The Broken Road


"I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you
Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

I think about the years I spent just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there you understand
It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true

Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you."