Friday, August 11, 2006

Best Birthday in Recent Memory

Even though I spent most of the day in court, stayed late at the office finishing up work and getting ahead for next week, and drove home in a monsoon, my birthday yesterday was really great. See, holidays are alright, and I certainly appreciate the breaks from work and such. Until I became a lawyer, however, I spent most of my adult life working around and even through the holidays, so holidays don't mean as much to me as most folks, and they probably won't until I have a family of my own.

For me, my birthday is like my own little special holiday, and since my family wasn't exactly rich growing up, presents are nice, but they are not nearly the most important thing to me on my birthday. I would prefer, by a wide margin, to hear from or spend time with my friends and loved ones on my birthday. I am a very giving person who will and does do anything I possibly can for the people I care about. On that day though, I am not ashamed to say that I want it to be about me, just for a little while. I saw my family the weekend before, and heard from my dad and brother yesterday. And my friends, what else can I say about them except that they are awesome...the well wishes and phone calls started about a half hour into my birthday, just after midnight (thanks Leanne!) and didn't let up throughout the day. Phone calls, text messages, myspace comments, or in person visits...I was very happy because everyone I truly cared about made it a point to get in touch with me and wish me happy birthday. Then today the folks at my office pitched in and took me to my favorite Chinese place for lunch.

Truly good times all around, thanks to everyone for making my birthday so wonderful, and to all my amigos out there, you are all a blessing and I am thankful and proud to call you my friends.