Friday, July 21, 2006

Thank Heaven For Small Favors

Is there anything worse or more inconvenient than car trouble, especially when you are trying to travel, and double especially when you have someplace you are looking forward to going? Taking the second half of the day off work, I got all my errands done and wrapped up at the office, then got out on the interstate...with good times on the horizon.

First I heard a funny noise, thinking "OK, I will check this when I stop for gas." Then it got worse, and worse, and then it was drowning out the radio and A/C combined. So I pull off the interstate (about 5 mi. from where I live) and come to a red light...then the light turns green, I press the accelerator, and my front left tire explodes...bad times.

On top of that, it is broiling hot here, 98 degrees and 110 on the heat index, and it's a humid heat, ugh. So the wrecker came, took me to a tire place, and I was all fixed up in an hour. Why do I mention this? Because I am thankful for small favors. Before every road trip of any length I pray for safety on the trip and for no car problems. Sometimes mechanics break down, but I will thank the Lord for allowing it to happen 5 minutes from the house as opposed to halfway between here and Nashville in the middle of nowhere...for letting it be a tire blowout instead of massive engine problems...and for allowing my A/C to still work while I waited. A state trooper even stopped to ask if I was OK and had someone coming. This is was definitely incovenient in terms of time, money, and comfort, but it was very small in comparison to what it could have been.

Yes Lord, I noticed, and thank you for being there even when I don't deserve it :).