Sunday, July 23, 2006

Great Times with My Best Friends

A couple of weeks ago, I got to hang out with some of my best friends in the East TN area while over there taking care of some business. This weekend one of my best friends since freshman year of college (for almost a decade now, yikes!) had flown in from the left coast where he has been on tour with his job for the better part of a year. The last time I saw him we went to a Nine Inch Nails concert for his birthday in February and had a blast, except for the nasty fall and resulting bruise I sustained trying to navigate the mosh pit and find him, lol.

Prior to my friend's arrival in town, I had found a listing for what looked like a pretty cool club in Nashville, good reviews and atmosphere, not too pricey, the whole bit. After a good workout, dinner, and a shower, we were ready to cut loose and have some fun. Note to self and others...when you are looking for places online to go out on the town, call them first to make sure they are still, you know, open. After stopping for a bit on the side of the road due to torrential rainfall on the way downtown, we got to 2nd Ave., only to find that the club I had seen online had closed down WEEKS ago...not good times. We made the best of it though, and as a nice surprise, we ran into another friend of mine I hadn't seen in months and made it a group night on the town. We all went to Graham Central Station and Excess/Orbit dancing and having a few drinks until way too late before drifting off to get some sleep, then followed up with the obligatory Waffle House breakfast the next morning.

I am not much on the club scene and never have been, but I do like to go out and break it down on the dance floor every once in a while. It's a good stress reliever and workout, and I am not a bad dancer for a white guy, lol. I have good rhythm, can lead when necessary, and certainly won't embarrass anyone, myself included. It was a great night and lots of fun...my college buddy is already back in Denver gearing up for more shows (he is a dancer) and it will probably be another several months before we hang out again. One of the things I like best about our friendship is that, even when there are long breaks in between times we hang out, when we eventually get together, it's like we never left and just hung out last week. I have said it before and will say it again, I am very blessed to have such friends as these, I love them all, and don't know what I would do without them.