Friday, February 16, 2007

The Good News, Courtesy of Mrs. DuToit

Anytime we as Americans get down about where we are, our circumstances, our lot in life, or the state of our country in general...always remember that there is Good News. Take it away, Mrs. DuToit.

"If you prefer your news to be alarming or negative, you can stop reading this now.

Today I sat at my desk after getting a cup of coffee from my electric coffee maker. The sugar and cream I used were clean and the electricity was running to power the coffee maker and the refrigerator.

Then I powered on my computer and it connected to the unregulated Internet. I was able to check my email, as I do every morning.

I settled in to begin my work, with my legally owned 9mm handgun by my side. Using the power of the Internet, I was able to connect to my office (in another state) using VPN technology.

During a brief break, I read something that concerned me about something Congress was doing (Congress, that was recently handed over to the opposition party, without a shot being fired), so I fired off a letter to the President of the United States, expressing my opinion on the subject.

Earlier in the morning, my husband got in our car (it started and it had fuel to keep it running) to drive (on paved roads and safe streets) our daughter to a community college where she is working toward an Associate of Arts degree. She was accepted in college by passing the Texas Standardized test and submitting her homeschooling transcript that I prepared, showing that she had a high school diploma, issued by me. She hopes to complete her AA degree and then go on to a four year school (without anticipating any difficulty with her getting accepted) so that she will be able to travel to Japan, on a airliner traveling through safe airspace, to teach English to Japanese people. It never occurred to her that she might not be admitted to college or able to do what she wanted to do because she is a girl.

My husband took pork chops out of our freezer (from pigs raised by a friend in another state) also still powered with electricity, so they could thaw during the day, while we continued our work. Work, that was freely chosen by both of us, in a combination of self- and full-employment.

During my lunch break I opened up Quicken and downloaded the latest balances from my safe and secure banks (protected by FDIC), also via the Internet, noting that my paycheck had been deposited by electronic transfer, on time, on schedule, and for the amount agreed upon between my employer and me.

Before I started work, I brushed my teeth using clean (disease free) tap water. I flushed a toilet and the water magically disappeared down the pipe to the city sewer, where it will be properly processed and cleaned for reuse.

As I normally do, I lit the natural gas fueled fireplace to warm the family room and the natural gas came through the pipe like it does every time I want to do this.

There were no terrorist attacks on American soil. Millions of law abiding citizens, some gun owners, some not, safely arrived at work or school, using other paved roads maintained by our road crews, and monitored by police and highway patrols. Some of those people on the roads said morning prayers, of a religion of their choosing, before they left for work, or stopped first at their place of worship.

Millions of other people in the United States brushed their teeth with clean water, just like I did, flushed toilets and had the dirty water disappear to end up at their local water treatment plants, and ate breakfasts of clean food, accompanied with hot beverages, powered by the steady electric power that fuels those coffee makers and tea kettles, that brings steady power to our homes, businesses, and streets.

When folks arrived at work or school the electricity that powered the lights and equipment in their offices was working, and they flipped the switches on the lights and equipment without any thought that the power might not be on.

Thousands of other people showed up at courtrooms, for criminal or civil matters, fully expecting justice to be served and to exercise their right to their day in court.

And in a place far, far away, thousands of American men and women, who volunteered, are working their best, risking their lives, so that others will someday be able to do all of this, too.

All in all, a typical day in America. We tend to forget and take for granted the miracle that is These United States. Remain diligent and vigilant, but notice the stuff we seldom notice, too."