Saturday, February 17, 2007

Hannibal Rising is a Big Disappointment

I went to see "Hannibal Rising" last night, and I have to say I was very disappointed. It reminds me of a couple of comedy specials and stand-up routines where I went in a fan of the stars therein and really wanting to laugh, but came out disappointed with few laughs to my name. I was a huge fan of the books and movies "The Silence of the Lambs", "Red Dragon", and "Hannibal", in that order. Before I went to see "Hannibal Rising", the critics were absolutely blasting this movie, and I wasn't encouraged. The only reason I went to see it is because I saw that Thomas Harris, the author of the series, was intimately involved in the movie. Unfortunately, that didn't help...the plot was disjointed, the pace of the movie herky-jerky, and I can't see how it even qualifies as a prequel to the other three books and films. The only redeeming qualities of the film were the strong acting debut of the young man who played Hannibal Lecter, the savage beauty of the Asian woman who took Lecter in after his family was murdered, and the creative brutality of some of the killing scenes. Other than that, let's just say I'm glad I went to a matinee and didn't waste the $8 to go see it.