Saturday, May 5, 2007

New Job Status Report

As most of you know and as I detailed in my last post, I started a new job, and as of today, I've been there two weeks. Although my official training period is over, the expectation is that it will be up to six months before I've really found my groove and learned the nuances of what I'll be doing on a day to day basis. I've done more intellectual heavy lifting these past two weeks than I did my last two years at my most recent job, and I really enjoy that challenge. I am learning new things about some areas of the law I already knew things about and other areas that I had no experience with, and these are things I actually wanted to learn about and gain experience in. That desire certainly helps me enjoy my work more than I ever have before. Not only that, my new co-workers have been very helpful so far in showing me the ropes, and they seem to be very nice and friendly folks personally. Also, the structure of my job allows for employees to be rewarded for excellent work...the more they produce, the more they earn. What a radical concept that is! It's nice to be working somewhere that challenges me, allows me professional growth opportunities, and rewards me financially for doing good work. I'm excited to learn more and grow with the company, and I can't wait to see where it takes me.

For the time being, I'm still a bit of a nomad in terms of my living situation though. I stayed a couple of weeks on a friend's couch, and I'm staying the next couple of weeks at another friend's rental house, but thankfully, it looks like my apartment, which is a few blocks from my office, should be ready for me to move into in a couple of weeks. Until then though, I'm enjoying the quiet of the country afforded by the rental house, but I'm not so crazy about the commute (about 30 minutes one way). Even so, I've not had to pay rent in either place, and that helps me out getting on my feet financially in a new place, so I very much appreciate my friends who are helping me. In times past, I've helped friends in that way and expected nothing in return, and it looks like what goes around does come around, even in the case of good things. Once my living situation is settled, I'll get back to the full-time business of being involved with my church the way I want to be, working out the way I'd like, and pursuing my hobbies and interests as much as possible. That's just as exciting as finding a job I love, and I'm ready for it to happen...so I say to the Lord and to the calendar, bring it on!