Sunday, March 4, 2007

"Zodiac" Review and a Weekend in Memphis

I was very much looking forward to this weekend because Mike, one of my best friends from college, was coming to town for a belated birthday celebration. Since there's nothing to do where I live, we decided to go to Memphis and spend the weekend there with another one of his friends. We got all dressed up and went to a nice dinner at The Butcher Shop, where I had some of the best, most tender chicken breast I've ever eaten. More than that, it was reasonably priced and the salad and side items were excellent, so I'll definitely be going back there again. After dinner, we went to several clubs in Memphis, including B.B. King's, a good salsa club, and a couple of other places. The liquor and drinks flowed as the night went on, and eventually we headed home about 4 AM, tired but very much entertained. The clubs weren't that great, but it was more about hanging out with my friend and him having a big time celebrating his birthday, so it was definitely a worthwhile trip.

After a quick bout of alcohol-related morning sickness, we got up, ate lunch, came back to my place, worked out, ate dinner, and then went to see "Zodiac". I'd originally read this book when I was about 12 years old, and I really enjoyed it, so I hoped the movie wasn't terrible. Even though it was 2 hours and 45 minutes long and wasn't really "action-packed", it was still interesting, the story flowed smoothly, and the actors all gave solid performances. It's one of the few movies in recent memory where I can look back and be really glad I saw it in the theater. It was great to see and hang out with my friend because we're pretty tight and don't get to do it nearly enough. If he moves out West in the summer as expected, I may make my first ever visit to the Western U.S. and have as much fun as I can in the process of helping him relocate...all in all a pretty good weekend, and that's all I have to say about that.