Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Rooms

"Rooms"
By Audrey Carter

A moment of silence
Only candles light the room.
I find a blank canvas in the dark -
Space for my mind to roam.
How do you capture this butterfly
Trapped inside -
Disguised as the emotions trying to hide?
Revealing them to me
There's no one here to see
What memories I may find
Hidden inside the rooms of my mind.

I discover a room in my mind
Where I have set my dreams aside -
An actress, a singer, a movie star -
A college degree and a new sports car.
Little girl's big dreams, still within reach.
All I had to do was believe.
I remember leaving it all behind.
Those dreams are fading as time goes by...

Oh, but here is where I spend so much time -
In this other room in my mind.
The dreams that have come true -
The dreams that once I never knew.
A beautiful daughter with eyes that shine -
Her dreams so similar to those once mine.
And my baby boy with a contagious laugh -
His love for life will guide his path.
In this room I became a mother
And fell in love with my son and daughter.

Around the corner I'm afraid to step.
I see the room in which I've wept.
The room that stores my broken hearts
The times that I've felt torn apart.
But in this room I feel God's grace -
In this room I sought His face.
He wrapped me in His arms of mercy,
Gave me strength and simply loved me.
The room that holds my healed wounds,
And the memories of my sufferings
Is where I began to learn the Truth
And experience God's blessings.

I have time to visit just one more -
The room in which my future lies -
The future I hope for in my mind.
As I walk inside, my mind goes blank -
Carefully each step I take.
Knowing all the decisions I make
Will affect the woman I am today.
As I walk, He takes my hand.
Alone I know I'll never stand.
Every turn He knows my need.
He promised me He'd never leave.
I give Him my heart, my future, my life.
I lay it all down at His feet.
Because in this room
I sacrifice.