Monday, August 13, 2007

New Best Birthday Ever

Last year, I wrote that my birthday in 2006 was one of, if not the best birthdays ever. I got to see some of my best friends and had a rockin' good time for a whole weekend. Well, we got a new contender now...I give you Birthday, 2007!

My birthday is on August 10th, and Althea's is on August 12th, so I had a perfect excuse to make this an all weekend affair. Since I was first on deck, my best friend Mike came in from out of town with a couple of his friends. Despite some communications mix-ups along the way and decidedly sub par food at Red Lobster, Mike got to meet Althea and we had a lot of fun at the restaurant. Then I went back to my place to get ready, and I opened the door to find my entire living room full of presents from Althea, and a dozen of the nicest white roses I'd ever seen on the kitchen counter. It sounds corny, but no one had ever gotten me flowers, and I thought that was very sweet. Althea got me virtually an entire new summer wardrobe of clothes to wear, and they all fit right and matched well together. It was exactly what I needed. Still more surprisingly, we stopped back by Althea's place before heading out on the town for her to pick up a few more things, and I was surprised with still more presents and a very tasty cake...I must say, I felt like the man all night that night. After that, we got ready and went out on the town in downtown Nashville. Mike and his date were busy dancing the night away just as Althea and I were (and my girl can really move, man is she gorgeous...what another nice birthday surprise). We danced until the wee hours and then came home.

Since Sunday is a busy day for Althea and I, I decided to do her birthday stuff on Saturday the 11th, even though her actual birthday is on the 12th. We got up early and drove to Lewisburg so she could meet my Dad. We had a nice breakfast, and everything went well...I think she passed with flying colors and gained the old man's approval. Since I inherited my selectiveness from my Dad, that was no small feat she accomplished winning him over.

After that, I whisked her back to Brentwood for her first of two appointments. First, she spent three hours getting her hair done and receiving a facial. After that, I grabbed her a quick bite of lunch and dropped her off at her second appointment, where she got a deep massage, some hydrotherapy, and a manicure and pedicure. She told me she was floating in spoiled princess relaxation after that, so I think the mission was definitely accomplished there. After that, I told her she had to go home and get dressed nice, because we had one more surprise. I made us reservations at Ruth's Chris in downtown Nashville, and we had a great time. The food was amazing, the service was top-notch, and our waiter was hysterical...I could not have asked for a better dining experience. We took some pictures before dinner and throughout the evening, some of which may be coming to Myspace sometime soon. Then we went home and spent the rest of the night together (not that way you perverts, get your minds out of the gutter!).

The next day, we went to church in the morning, had lunch together, and then I played a kickball doubleheader, which we swept 10-4 and 5-2. All around, this was a weekend to remember, and I can only pray that all the birthdays we spend together in the future will be equal to or better than this one. :)