Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Danger of Welfare is the Lack of Incentives

As Mrs. DuToit so clearly and succinctly (as usual) points out in this post, even if it is what most people with any sense of pride, ambition, self-respect, etc. would consider to be a substandard, insulting, helpless form of existence, there are WAAAAYYYY too many people in this country who are content to sit on their worthless, ever-widening posteriors waiting for the government cheese to come. They care nothing about forcing others to pay their way in life, and it absolutely infuriates me. I'm not talking about people who are truly disabled physically or mentally...I'm talking about people who are on SSI, disability, food stamps, etc. ad nauseam because they happen to be: 1.) owners of an entitlement mentality roughly the size of Billary Clintons' collective ego; 2.) a member of a perpetually aggrieved ethnic minority; and/or 3.) lazier than the day is long and even more useless. Government assistance is allegedly supposed to be a helping hand to those who genuinely make an effort to support themselves and their families and fall on temporary hard times, but it is not supposed to be an excuse for those who fall on hard times to stay there and slop at the government trough at taxpayer expense, nor is it supposed to be simply another web woven in the grand cradle to grave government welfare hammock. I've said it before, but it bears repeating...when 50% plus one of the citizenry of this country are on the government dole, any chance for tax and/or welfare reform is over. If that ever happens, I think America as we know it will introduce itself to the now defunct, deceased Roman Empire in a most infamous, agonizing manner in a few short generations. This one is short but packed with goodies, so read the whole thing.

"If someone else pays my rent, buys me food, pays for my medical care, what is the incentive for me to do anything?

I keep hearing about how there are X million people without health insurance. Of course that’s big fat bait and switch. It doesn’t say how many of those millions of people don’t have access to health care. Like none. Oh, you mean they’d either qualify for Medicare or they’d have to pay for it. Yeah, OK. And? Like I did for 15 years? I couldn’t afford medical insurance either, because my taxes were too high, paying for the medical expenses of others!

Then we’re told that there are children who don’t have medical insurance.

I guess their parents should do something about that then. Or they should have thought about that before they decided to have children.

There are people who don’t have fur coats, too. I don’t lose sleep over that either.

Don’t get me wrong. I think giving other people a helping hand is a integral part of being a decent person. But people should have to ask for help, not collect a monthly check paid for by a bunch of anonymous people. That takes the sting out of it. It is too easy to forget that it did come from the pockets of others. It is money they could have spent on their own children or (heaven forbid) on themselves, if they had a say in it. They could have decided to give some of that extra money to someone they knew who needed it. Instead, we’re forced to give it to people we do not know, who may or may not be deserving of it.

Please excuse my foul mood. I looked at the total annual withholding for taxes on my last pay-stub. Considering that about 60% of what I’ve paid in goes towards entitlements, I’m not feeling terribly charitable about paying more of other people’s costs at the moment.

When is tax freedom day these days? I think mine will be sometime in November."