Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Our "Backwards" is Often God's Way Forward for Us

I have mentioned before that I always want things now, or yesterday if possible. My lonely vision of the clearest path to love has, in the past, to be a speed demon and figure things out now or never. Accordingly, my guess is that God will do just the opposite, and bring me the person He has picked out for me much more slowly than I might have preferred she arrive. My reward for patience, faith, and trust in Him if He chooses to take me down that path to finding earthly love is happiness and bliss beyond everything I have known so far, combined, if only I will let Him.

I once read in a book that God often heals our wounds by taking us back through them, and in so doing forces us to confront those fears and hurts, to conquer them and remove their sting, and to allow for future growth in the process. That seems so backward from prevailing human logic, which says to wall off your hurts, push them down, and/or just keep pressing forward without dealing with them. That in turn reminded me of how God always shows up in our lives and how He loves to come through for us, but just like in the Bible, He never does it the same way twice. In fact, much like He takes us back through the wound to heal it, He also helps us conquer our weaknesses by confronting them head on, often in a way that makes no sense at the time and seem opposite of everything we think we know and want. Anything worth having is rarely obtained easily or by the most direct method we see to get there...my prayer every day of my life is that when it comes to me, I can recognize something special, and instead of questioning it to death and letting it die on the vine in the process, that I step out in a huge show of faith, seize it, and go after it with all my heart, soul, and might...I can think of very few things better than that. :)