Saturday, March 1, 2008

March 2008 Resolutions

My March 2008 resolutions are as follows:

1.) To do my very best to floss daily. Unfortunately, I did not inherit very good dental genetics, and although brushing and using mouthwash regularly is good, my dentist has kept on me about flossing to avoid future root canals. So, I guess there is no time like the present.

2.) To start training mixed martial arts, beginning with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've pretty much always been a fan of the UFC, but I haven't done any real martial arts training, well, ever. Even without formal training, my stand-up game is not terrible, but it could use some work (perhaps with a good boxing and/or Muay Thai coach). I think I have found the gym I will likely join if I like the facilities and the instructors. Here is the website, and best of all, it's about 5-10 minutes from my fiancee's condo. I know it will probably be tough, but I'd like to give it a shot. Besides, having been an athlete for most of my childhood and a decent part of my adult life, lifting weights gets boring sometimes. Even with new routines, there's only so much of that you can do. Add to that the fact that all the brute strength in the world isn't going to help you against someone with superior training, especially if the fight goes to the ground. I'm excited to give it a shot and see what happens.