Tuesday, April 17, 2007

"VICTORY!!!!!"..."I'm BACK, You KNOW It!"

The "Victory!!!!!" comes courtesy of Drama from the HBO show, "Entourage", and the "I'm BACK..." quote is courtesy of Will Ferrell in "Old School". How quickly things can change, and sometimes even for the better.

A couple of weeks ago, I tendered my resignation as an Assistant Public Defender in Jackson, not having any idea what was going to happen or what I was going to do next, professionally or financially. My resignation became official on Friday the 13th, of all days, and yesterday, I received a job offer (I start Monday) doing exactly the kind of work I wanted to do before I even started law school in the exact geographic area in which I've been hoping and trying to live since I graduated. For the math majors in the audience, that means my actual period of unemployment was less than one business day! That, as they say, is good times indeed. What's more, as He is known to do, God is a tidy sort of fellow who has a funny way of tying up loose ends and greasing the skids for us to move forward in His time (and not just in my professional life, but in some personal areas as well)...and even more than that, He often does it in a way(s) we would never do it ourselves, but yet it always manages to work itself out just right, and that's just how it happened here.

The selfish part of me wishes I could take the credit for this in some way, but I can't and I won't, because this was all God's doing. The folks who know me best will have a better idea what I mean here, and everyone else will have to take my word for it because it's entirely too much to type. I think for a long time I was waiting...on something, be it a break in my career, my love life, etc. I honestly think that God was trying to teach me a lesson, to be fully engaged wherever He has me because I'm supposed to be there for a reason(s) and a season(s). Once I quit waiting so much and started living to the fullest in the present, God began working, and quickly, at helping bring the desires of my heart to fruition. The point is this: I have a lot to offer, personally and professionally, but all those gifts are God's anyway, and He gave them to me to use, not to bury in the dirt...and just because I finally summoned the courage to step up and use them, to proceed boldly and with confidence in the direction of my dreams while fully engaged wherever He has me doesn't mean I get to take the credit or the glory. That said, I will enjoy them, and be happy and thankful beyond measure for the lessons I've learned and the places God has led me. Thank you Lord for your many blessings and the talents you've given me, and I'm beyond excited to see where we're going next. :)