Friday, May 4, 2007

Paris Hilton Goes Directly to Jail...No Passing Go or Collecting $200

OK, so I couldn't help passing along this piece of news after a good chuckle...just read this story via MSNBC. Although Paris Hilton has no discernible talents of any kind, because of her name, relentless partying, and just being a ho' in general, she is a celebrity. After some thought, I've decided to tone down my sense of glee just a bit. I've seen clients in my days as a public defender who got the book thrown at them when they didn't deserve it, and it looks like this judge may have gone overboard, but only a little. Just because she is a celebrity doesn't mean she should get special treatment, but neither does it mean she should get punishment beyond what's appropriate. I think because she did violate her probation, her excuses didn't fly, and because she showed up to court late, a good ten days in jail plus a crapload of community service that would keep her busy on the weekends for the better part of the summer would have been a more appropriate sentence. Maybe she'll realize now that the law applies to her too, but I doubt it. Consider this karma for all the crazy, stupid stunts she's pulled over the years and gotten away with, but that still doesn't mean the judge should have hammered her quite as hard as he did.